Saturday, August 09, 2008

Cuban thoughts...

As far as I know, American companies are forbidden from doing business in Cuba's brutal dictatorship regime... and the only two items that can be imported from the prison island are books and art.

So... tonight as I watch (on TeleMundo) the graceful and powerful Cuban female beach volleyball team of Estevez and Crespo fight the equally powerful and graceful German team of Pau and Pohl, I notice that the Communist nation's bikini bathing suits sport the Adidas logo.

Why is Adidas sponsoring a Cuban team? (Update: Because they are a German company I am told)

Cuba is an imprisoned nation whose government segregates HIV+ people, and that has "cured" gay people by lobotomizing them, and that has a government that is one of the worst offenders of human rights in the world?

Is that what Adidas wants its name associated with? A gay-bashing, lobotomizing, HIV-segregating, human rights-violating, old-style Communist dictatorship?

And how does an American company (Adidas is American-owned... right???) get to do business with the Castro brothers' bloodstained regime? (Update: Because they are a German company I am told)

Shame on you Adidas...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adidas is a German company. (Google exists, right???) Shame on you, Lenny...

Lenny said...

My shame... I did go to the company website but the only address that I've got was in Oregon... it makes it OK that a German company works with a bloody regime then...

Unknown said...

Dang, my comment from this morning didn't make it. Got lost on the interwebs.

I mentioned that they were founded in 1949 in Germany. I wonder though, why we (the US) think it's ok to deal with anti human rights folks like China and Saudi Arabia but not Cuba. Not that we have a clean slate either, just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

Not debating your political views, dude, just your fact-checking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adidas

Lenny said...

Fair enough