Friday, October 02, 2009

New Drawing

The first one in months!

Excuse(s): I've been away (spent all of July screwing around the desert in California), had to make a major move back to DC from Philadelphia, and had my third child arrive a month ago. I'm still unpacking yo! And getting less than 3-4 hours sleep a day!

F. Lennox Campello - The Killing of The Christ


The Killing of The Christ
Charcoal and conte on paper. 4 feet by 4 feet. 2009.
F. Lennox Campello

I may have to revisit this drawing... I couldn't remember exactly on which side Christ was pierced by the Spear of Destiny used by the Roman Centuriun Longinus.

I've drawn a slight reference to it on His left side, as my Catholic school background seems to recall that side, but since I am not very religious, I can't be 100% sure. I guess I will check the New Testament, unless someone can leave a comment and let me know. Then I will draw the wound.

7 comments:

Andrew said...

"spent all of July screwing around the desert in California"

Did you vision quest include peyote?

John said...

The piercing of Christ's side comes from the Gospel of John. He does not mention which side. Traditionally the right side is the side that was pierced.

Lenny said...

No... It included a lot of Chinese take out.

Andrew said...

Frankly, its just as mind altering...

CAC said...

I went to Catholic schools and don't recall learning a particular side. The Bible just says his side was pierced and we learned/read he was already dead when he was pierced.

I know in some old movies they usually show the right side (camera left) but I am not sure why.

CAC

Jesse said...

I love it Lenny. You've reached a new level.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous drawing! You don't see much religious art around these days.

Martin