Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Studio Visiting...

At the end of the day I had some time to sneak a quick visit to Red Dirt Studio, Flux Studios and the Washington Glass School.

At Red Dirt my real reason was to hope to meet little Kyle, the newest addition to the studio, but the cute two-month old was asleep in the middle of a noisy, creative artmosphere. He did look very handsome in his blue hat and mom Margaret Boozer should be justifiably proud of the little feller.

Michael Janis, The Lovers, from the Tarot Card Series, Cast glass, steel, glass powder imagery 18 x 36 x 2 inches At the Washington Glass School I sneaked a preview of Tim Tate's newest videos, as well as Michael Janis' latest work (Janis was the star of the recent SOFA Chicago, where Maurine Littleton Gallery sold nine of his pieces). I also saw the newest Erwin Timmers' works as he pursues his "green art" line of work.

At Flux Studios, I chatted with the very talented Novie Trump, whose recent solo at MPA so impressed me. There were huge clay bones being created for what sounds like an amazing installation in support of a performance. More on that later.

I also saw the really cool new work, a very minimalist work that boasts loads of elegance, by Elena PatiƱo, the newest member of Flux, and also discovered the newest work of Mia Kagan, which was also quite impressive and then went gaga over the amazing Laurel Lukaszewski, whose current solo show at Project 4 is a significant and intelligent new conceptual work for this very talented artist and a show that I will review soon..

No comments: