Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Overheard while voting

Elderly Chinese lady in the voting booth to my right (talking to another - much younger - Chinese lady in the voting booth to my left): "I can't believe that I'm voting for all these Republicans!"

Agitated voting judge comes over and tells her that she can't discuss her voting with people around her. The elderly Chinese lady doesn't say anything and the voting judge retreats to her station.

Elderly Chinese lady, this time in Chinese, again speaks to the other Chinese lady to my left. The words "Ike Leggett" and "Republicans" are distinct amongst the Chinese chatter.

Agitated voting judge comes over again, but I'm not sure that this time she knows who was talking. She looks at me and announces: "Please! No talking while voting!"

I finish voting, and while depositing my electronic voting card in the box by the voting judge, I say "syeh-syeh" ("Thanks" in Mandarin Chinese) to her. She looks at me oddly.

Whatever you do today, please make sure that you vote. Otherwise, please refrain from bitching tomorrow.

No comments: