Cuban gay activist arrested
Last Friday, the Castro dictatorship arrested gay activist Aliomar Janjaque Chivás, president of the LGBT Reinaldo Arenas Foundation, for collecting testimonies that documented abuses against the gay community in Cuba.
The testimonies were to form part of a legal proceeding initiated at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague against the Castro regime for "crimes against humanity." They were subsequently confiscated by the Cuban authorities.
Janjaque was arrested while interviewing various men who had been interned in labor camps due to their sexual orientation.
Thursday, September 23, 2010
Cuban gay activist arrested
Sleep (Homage to Ida Teichmann). Charcoal and conte on paper. 4 x 26 inches
Job in the Arts
The Cultural Development Corporation (CuDC), a non-profit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for artists and arts organizations that stimulate economic development and improve the quality of life in the DC metro area, is accepting applications for the position of Development Manager.
This full-time position works closely with the Director of External Relations to support organizational fundraising activities. This position will focus on individual donor development and special events but will encompass all aspects of fundraising.
· Work with External Relations Director to create and execute strategies for individual donor engagement including regular communication, fulfillment and outreach.
· Research, write and submit solicitation letters, proposals and reports for all sources of contributed income.
· Manage special events including Annual Gala, Source Festival Opening and 4-6 smaller events annually.
· Develop strategic relationships in the community and partnerships with other businesses/organizations.
· Work with Communications Manager on donor outreach strategy in conjunction with rebranding efforts.
· Dynamic fundraising skills with at least three years experience and proven track record
· Creative thinker with new ideas for donor engagement
· Superb writing, communication and analytical skills
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
· Exceptional organizational and time management skills
· Expertise in MS Office, experience with QuickBooks Pro and Raiser’s Edge a plus
· Ability and willingness to work flexibly in a fast paced, fast growing non-profit environment
Salary: Commensurate with experience
How to apply: To apply, submit a resume with cover letter to:
Cultural Development Corporation
Development Manager Search
916 G Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Initial review of candidates will begin immediately, but applications will be accepted until October 15, 2010.
See ya tonight!
Tonight is the opening for my first substantial exhibition in the DC area in four years. The show is at the School of Art & Design at Montgomery College's King Street Gallery, located in the beautiful Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation Arts Center at 930 King Street in the Montgomery College, Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus.
The opening is tonight, Thursday, September 23, 5:00 – 7:30 pm. I hear there will be a TV crew at the opening, so it sounds like a fun night. There will also be an artists' panel on Monday, Sept. 27, at noon, for one hour. I will be available at the panel and after the panel to discuss and answer any questions that you may have about anything dealing with the visual arts, career, galleries, etc.