My good bud Jesse Cohen started artdc.org in 2004 and in 2009 they started a gallery, which has been staging some terrific shows.
Now Jesse has decided to spend more time in an art related career and soon he will be managing a new location of L'Eclat de Verre, a French frame shop.
The new location will be in Bethesda, opening in mid July. For now he's working in their Georgetown location.
And he tells me that active artdc.org users who've posted more than 5 times will get a 10% discount on material costs at his frame shop - all you have to do is mention, artdc.org, his name, and your artdc username.
Visit their Georgetown location here.
Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Stemp on Glass
ReadysetDC's Natalie Stemp has a terrific review of Longview Gallery's recently concluded glass exhibition focused on the 10th anniversary of the Washington Glass School.
I also heard that the show also sold extremely well - always a challenge in this austere financial environment caused by the current economic state of the nation.
Read the piece here.
"This work embodies both the sweet and the sinister elements that run through Aoshima’s work. The image depicts an overgrown girl essentially “passing gas,” an emission Aoshima transforms into a beautiful landscape of billowing lavender, and is based on a mural of the same title commissioned by the Institute of Contemporary Art/Boston’s Sandra and Gerald Fineberg Art Wall."Heh... heh... check it out here.
2011 Hamiltonian Fellows
As they conclude their third year of outstanding artist-centric programming, Hamiltonian Artists has named five new, distinguished Hamiltonian Fellows for 2011 to join their five existing Fellows. The 2011 Fellows are dominated by a concentration of three MICA MFAs and they are:
· Nora Howell (MFA, Maryland Institute College of Art)
· Sarah Knobel (MFA, University of Cincinatti)
· Matthew Mann (MFA, American University)
· Jenny Mullins (MFA, Maryland Institute College of Art)
· Joshua Wade Smith (MFA, Maryland Institute College of Art, Mt. Royal School of Art)
On Saturday, August 13, 2011, from 7-9pm, Hamiltonian Gallery will open an introductory group exhibition of these five new Fellows. Each artist will be displaying the work with which they were accepted. The exhibition will run from August 13 - September 10, 2011.
The five new 2011 So-Hamiltonian Fellows were selected from a pool of over 150 artists who applied this year. The jurors were:
· Ian MacLean Davis - Visual Artist, Hamiltonian Artists and MICA, Mt. Royal School of Art Alumnus
· Tim Doud - Visual Artist, Co-director of MFA Program, American University
· Beatrice Gralton - Curator, Corcoran Gallery of Art
· Carol Huh - Curator of Contemporary Asian Art, Free Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution
· Fletcher Mackey - Visual Artist, Professor, MICA
· Kate MacDonnell - Photographer