Fermentation Festival and Exhibit: Call for Art - The Gallery at Convergence
Since the beginning of civilization fermentation has mystified humans. Ancient legends say we were taught by sacred beings to make fermented beverages containing a magical substance, a spirit that awakens dormant capacities within us.A cursory look at the process of fermentation reveals connections with our personal experiences of transformation. Fermenting implies agitation, excitement or tumult. It is the process by which old ideas, habits and patterns are overturned and new insight is introduced to strengthen us and ensure our flourishing. As artists our creative experience often ferments from initial intent into surprising transformations. It is our growth process.Convergence is calling artists to submit works that express, share or observe fermentation in a creative, personal, spiritual or global sense. You are invited to share what is fermenting inside you!
*All media considered including 2D, 3D, multi-media, installations and performance. Open to all artists.*Entry Deadline: 10 am, August 24, 2013*Email jpg images of artwork and entry form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10am on August 24, 2013*Payment should be dropped off/mailed to Convergence Office, ATTN: Christina Perry, 1801 N. Quaker Ln, Alexandria, VA 22302. $15 per entry (up to 4 pieces per entry).*For multi-media, installations, or performance pieces please write and send in a proposal.Important Dates:• Call for art launches: June 25, 2013• Deadline for submissions: 10am, August 24, 2013• Artists notification: August 27, 2013• Hanging: Tuesday, Wednesday, September 3 and 4th, 2013• Exhibition: Thursday, September 5th - Monday, October 28, 2013• Opening Reception: Saturday, September 14, 2013, 10am-3pm• Closing Party: TBD• Deinstall: TBDSubmission Details: Please submit a digital image of your entry. You may submit up to 4 pieces total per entry.Submission Fees: $15 per entry made payable to Convergence.
- Artists are invited to submit up to four (4) pieces of original art. All media including painting, photography, mixed media, fiber/textile, sculpture, and other high quality fine art. Convergence encourages submissions of cutting edge, experimental, and high energy styles.
- Artists will be notified of the curator's selection by August 27, 2013
- Shipping costs (including return shipping) are the responsibility of the artists. Detailed shipping instructions will be sent with the curators' notification.
- Participating artists will be asked to sign an "Artist's Loan Agreement," which includes a liability waiver and permission to use any images for promotional purposes, as well as other terms.Exhibition:
- Artwork previously exhibited at Convergence is not eligible.
- All artwork selected must be ready for exhibition: framed when appropriate, delivered with necessary hardware.
- Finished and framed art should not exceed 48” in any direction. All art on paper must be framed and under glass or plexiglass. Work on canvas should finished sides or be framed.
- All artwork must be labeled on the back with the artist name, phone number, title of work, medium, and price
- Artists are required to provide a current Artist Statement and Bio limited to 1 page to be included in the Gallery Notebook.
- All artwork must remain on exhibit for the duration of the show and will not be removed prior to Tuesday, October 29, 2013.
- A donation of 15% of art sales will be made to Convergence by the artist. All sales are handled by the artist.Accepted Artist Responsibilities:
- Artists are responsible for drop off/pick up as well as delivery of sold artworks.
- All taxes are the sole responsibility of the artist.
- Convergence requests each art publicize the exhibit and opening on their websites, blog, and/or Facebook.
- All artists MUST volunteer for a show job, see list on Entry Form. Sign up sheet will be available at Artwork Receiving.Use Rights: by submitting artwork for the exhibition, accepted artists grant Convergence the right to use their images for the purpose of marketing he exhibition, marketing Convergence’s programs and display on the Convergence website. Artists grant the use of their image(s) as stated without further contact or compensation from Convergence. Artist’s credit is provided with any use.Liability: Artwork and submission materials will be handled with all possible care. Convergence will not be responsible or liable for loss or damage from any cause whatsoever. Entering this exhibition shall constitute understanding and agreement on the part of the artist with the conditions stated. Insurance, if desired, is the sole responsibility of the artist.
If you have any questions please contact the Gallery Coordinator, Christina Perry at 703-998-6260 or email: email@example.com