There is not enough that I can say to recommend The Strathmore Fine Artists in Residence initiative (Fine AIR) to all emerging artists.... I have been lucky enough to have been a mentor twice, and can therefore testify what a boost to an artist's career this program is... and it deals and teaches so many diverse areas.... there is nothing even close to it in the DMV, maybe even the nation.
It was established to help cultivate local visual arts talent by connecting established professionals in all aspects of the field with up-and-coming artists. Emerging artists will be in residence in the Mansion at Strathmore from January – August 2015. During this time, each artist will have the opportunity to develop an audience in the DC metropolitan area, perfect their craft, create and implement an outreach, educational, or special event proposal for Strathmore’s consideration, and premiere a new body of artwork, including a collaborative piece with one’s mentor, commissioned by Strathmore in a culminating exhibition.
The exhibition of new work will take place in August of 2015 and will reflect the artistic growth of the artist in residence. Throughout the residency artists meet with a professional artist mentor for career guidance and artistic critique; attend career development workshops; and have the opportunity to teach, lecture, volunteer, exhibit or otherwise participate in Strathmore visual arts programming. Apply here: http://www.strathmore.org/education/series/view.asp?id=10102314
The Strathmore Fine Artist in Residence Program is open to all emerging visual artists. All media accepted.
Fine AIR Program Timeline
• September 8, 2014 Deadline for application
• September 15 – 18, 2014 Select applicants invited to interview
• September 29, 2014 Notification of acceptance
• October 2014 Fine AIR contracts finalized
• November 2014 Incoming Fine AIR class announced to the public
• January 2015 Official start of the Fine AIR program
• August 2015 Exhibition of new work
A Residency at Strathmore includes:
• An exhibition of new work at the Mansion at Strathmore, Summer 2015
• Strathmore’s consideration of an outreach, educational, or special event proposal
• A professional artist mentor throughout the residency
• Career Development workshops and experiences provided by Strathmore
• A stipend of $1,000 (Studio space and housing are not available with this residency)
Artist responsibilities include:
• Mandatory attendance at a Fine AIR welcome event, scheduled meetings with artist mentor, and career development workshops provided by Strathmore.
• Creation of a new body of saleable work, including a collaborative piece created with one’s mentor, to debut at the 2015 Fine AIR Exhibition at the Mansion at Strathmore.
• Creation of an outreach, educational, or other visual arts event proposal for Strathmore’s consideration for future seasons.
• Volunteering at “Discover Strathmore” and “Strathmore Arts Festival” events and by providing an artist demonstration, pop- up of artwork for exhibition and/or sale, or related artistic presence.
• Volunteer to teach, lecture, and/or demo for the visual art department at least once during residency. Strathmore charges admission for these programs and all proceeds go toward supporting the Fine AIR program.