McLean Project for the Arts
McLean Project for the Arts (MPA) has an immediate need for an innovative, strategic leader with a demonstrated record of success in the not-for-profit world to serve as its Executive Director. The Executive Director will lead and grow the organization at a time of tremendous excitement and momentum in the DC metropolitan area’s burgeoning art scene.
MPA is a not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) visual arts center founded in 1962 with a mission to exhibit the work of emerging and established artists from the mid-Atlantic region; to promote public awareness and understanding of the concepts of contemporary art; and to offer instruction and education in the visual arts. MPA enriches a community hungry for high quality visual arts by providing museum quality exhibitions and creating a cultural destination. MPA’s beautiful 2,000 square foot Emerson Gallery provides one of the few spaces available in the DC metropolitan region for large sculpture and installations. MPA offers a wide variety of professionally taught art classes for adults, teens and children including Family Art Workshops, artist talks and workshops, and tours to area museums and galleries. MPA’s award winning ArtReach program takes art instruction into Fairfax County Public Schools and senior centers, and brings students, seniors, and those with special needs into our galleries for exhibition tours and hands-on art activities. MPA currently has a staff of 10 full and part-time professionals, hundreds of volunteers, an annual operating budget of approximately $800,000. MPA also benefits from an actively engaged Board of Directors comprised of community members, business leaders and arts professionals.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be responsible for the organization's achievement of its mission through innovative strategies in fundraising and programming. The Executive Director will ensure that the financial, administrative, and operational activities of MPA, including its galleries and studio, function at the highest levels and in accordance with the organization’s mission and values.
The Executive Director of MPA will be expected to maintain a strong, visible presence in the community, strengthen current funding relationships and develop new, diverse sources of funds that ensure the organization will achieve sustainable growth and financial stability. This position offers the opportunity for an entrepreneurial leader to have a true impact on the DC area’s cultural landscape while ensuring that MPA will be a national leader in its field.
- A minimum of five years experience as a non-profit executive with fundraising and management responsibility.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising with foundations, corporations, government entities and individuals.
- Knowledge of, or keen interest in, the visual arts.
- Familiarity with the Washington D.C. metropolitan area including potential funding sources in the market.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to leverage limited resources through effective delegation in order to manage multiple, competing priorities.
- A creative, innovative, and strategic thinker with extraordinary interpersonal skills who enjoys building relationships across stakeholder groups.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to create and lead a vibrant team environment with staff, Board and other stakeholders to achieve organizational objectives.
- Desire to participate actively in MPA’s lively schedule of activities and events weekdays, evenings and weekends.
- Bachelor’s Degree
This is a full time, on-site position. Compensation in the range of $55,000 – 70,000, depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
Please send letter, resume and references to:
McLean Project for the Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values workplace diversity.