Saturday, January 14, 2017

Anatomy of a another commission

Background: At the 2016 SOFA art fair in Chicago, a local Chicago collector acquired one of my large drawings, and told the gallery that he'd like to discuss possibly commissioning two additional pieces in the same size to create a full wall.

Subsequently the collector and I get in touch, and via email we begin coordinating the commission(s). Essentially he wants two additional pieces that can work together... almost like a planned triptych.

The work that the collector already has, depicts a nude woman, jumping from the upper left of the composition into open space. He actually comes up with an excellent idea: The left-most piece would be the same figure, but walking from left to right; the middle piece is again the same figure, but climbing a ladder to the upper right. His piece, then would show her jumping into space.

I really like the idea, and he also tells me that he's open to other suggestions... I tell him that I'll do some rough sketches...here's what I've come up with:

Rough sketch for a commission - 2017 F. Lennox Campello

That's his idea above, and then I come up with a couple of different versions:

Rough sketch for a commission - 2017 F. Lennox Campello
In this version, the center figure is on a swing... I also send him a rough sketch of that center piece:

Rough sketch for a commission - 2017 F. Lennox Campello

And one last version, where the center figure is on stilts:

Rough sketch for a commission - 2017 F. Lennox Campello

And a rough sketch of the "new" middle piece:

Rough sketch for a commission - 2017 F. Lennox Campello
And now... let's see where we go next!

No comments: