Monday, March 01, 2010

Faculty Show at the Art League

I dropped by the Torpedo Factory last weekend to check a couple of shows going on in two of the galleries inside the building. As it happened, the Art League Gallery had an exhibition showcasing their faculty's work and I also dropped by to see it.

One of the interesting "secrets" of the DMV region is how many graduates from some of our area's best known art schools also take classes at the Art League. I once asked a couple of them as to why and the answer was simple: to learn the technical part of the craft of being an artist.

"After four years at ______________ I came away with a good BFA which will help me get into a good MFA program," related Daniel (not his real name). "But I still need to learn how to mix oil paints to make the colors that I really want; that's why I am taking painting classes here," he confessed.

Some standouts include the work of Rosemary Feit Covey, in my opinion the best printmaker in the DC region. In the below example from one of her classes, we see the etching process being delivered by Rosemary. First we see the etching "Astrocytes" and then the etching "David" and then the combined piece "David with Astrocytes."

Astrocytes by Rosemary Feit Covey

David by Rosemary Feit Covey

David with Astrocytes by Rosemary Feit Covey
That covers printmaking.

The Art League also boasts some really good painting instructors, and the one that I hear most students praise, and whose work I've been admiring over the years is Danni Dawson. Danni Dawson received her BA and MFA degrees from George Washington University and has been a professional artist and teacher for over 25 years. That's her gorgeous nude below.

Nude by Danni Dawson

No comments: