Monday, March 26, 2007

Gopnik in a kilt

The WaPo's erudite Oxford-trained, chief art critic pens an interesting review (which has already caused some comment flaming) on the current exhibition "Italian Women Artists From Renaissance to Baroque," at the National Museum of Women in the Arts.

But my issue with the review are not the possible historical inaccuracies in the article, but this statement:

"Who and what you are matters to what your actions mean to others. My wife wears a skirt, and no one notices; if I did, I'd have to claim McGopnik blood to get away with it."
McGopnik!!!!

McGopnik!!!

"Whas like us? Gie few an thur aw deed"

First of all, Scots wear kilts - not skirts... and "Mc" is generally the Anglicised version of the Irish Celtic form for "son-of," while "Mac", not "Mc", is the is true Scottish Gaelic form, and thus what Gopnik should have written to make his point.

So he meant "MacGopnik."

I know it's pedantic, but ...

No comments: