Thursday, December 20, 2007

Laura Roulet's Fave Artwork

Laura Roulet is an art historian and a terrific independent curator and writer, and she responds to my request for readers' favorite artworks. Laura writes:

Asking an art historian for her favorite art work is like asking a mother to choose her favorite child. Impossible!

But here are three Washington DC masterpieces that I love to revisit, always finding more to see and ponder: Leonardo da Vinci, Ginervra de Benci (the only da Vinci painting in the Americas) in the National Gallery of Art, Jackson Pollock, Number 1, 1950 (Lavender Mist), also the NGA and Maya Lin, the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial.

Ginevra de' Benci by Leonardo
Ginevra de' Benci, c. 1474-1478, Leonardo da Vinci

Number 1, 1950 (Lavender Mist) by Jackson Pollock
Number 1, 1950 (Lavender Mist), 1950 by Jackson Pollock (American, 1912 - 1956)

3 comments:

Imad said...

How does Laura compare those works in her favorite list to the "Garden of Earthly Delights"? Is that still one of her favorites?

Anonymous said...

Hieronymous Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights"? It's certainly one of the most complex and fascinating paintings ever made. Gotta love the mystery of Bosch. My favorite painting in the Prado, however, would have to be Velazquez's "Las Meninas." In my comments, I was thinking of works in Washington DC that I always enjoy revisiting, that always have something new to say.

Imad said...

In my comments, I was wondering if being in Chelsea had any impact on which painting was your favorite. ;-)