Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Gallery critic and Washington City Paper part ways

I was very surprised to find out about a few minutes ago that Washington City Paper galleries critic Kriston Capps and the WCP have parted ways in what sounds (from Capps' side of the story) a very silly issue.

Something doesn't make sense here, but I'm sure that regardless of why (in Jeffry Cudlin's words) "the City Paper has given him the boot," Capps will continue to write for plenty of other outlets. He is an erudite, word-savvy, opinionated and educated writer and a budding curator.

Bailey on the subject here.

Cudlin on the same subject here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words, Lenny. But I think that "budding curator" is too generous by half. I do not have any plans to curate any future shows, and I doubt that I'll take up the opportunity in the future.

Best,
Kriston

Anonymous said...

Kriston did a good job, though I don't believe he ever made his way out to the American University Museum to review any of the 68 exhibitions we have had in the first three years of our existence. I don't believe anybody from The CityPaper has been out here. I forgive them (if they come soon).

Lenny said...

WHAT!!!! That's just not right!... you should contact Mark A. Erik W. at the WCP and bring that up to their attention... I suspect that they're unaware that their writers have ignored such an important key palyer in the DC art scene.

Anonymous said...

I reviewed at least one of those 68 for CP—the outdoor Jules Olitski sculpture installation. And I wrote up the Leipzig painters show (though that might have been for Express). "Soft Openings," Bruce Conner, and MFA stuff, too, on my blog. Not much more than a dent in the mind-boggling number of shows the Katzen produces each month, but to be sure, I'm not ignoring it.

Lenny said...

Well... that's better than nothing... but still seems like such a small number of reviews by CP in three years...

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Kriston, I really was complaining about CP coverage rather than you.