Wednesday, August 20, 2008

2008 Lucelia Artist Award Nominees

The Smithsonian American Art Museum announced a few days ago the nominees for the museum's 2008 Lucelia Artist Award.

The 15 nominees are Doug Aitken, Jennifer Allora and Guillermo Calzadilla, Slater Bradley, Matthew Buckingham, Mark Dion, Keith Edmier, Spencer Finch, Harrell Fletcher, Mark Grotjahn, Trenton Doyle Hancock, Rachel Harrison, Zoe Leonard, Suzanne McClelland, Wangechi Mutu and Dana Schutz.

Nominated artists work in a diverse range of media including film, installation, mixed media, painting, photography, sculpture and video.

The one artist in this list that continues to be a question mark for me is Dana Schutz.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one artist in this list that continues to be a question mark for me is Dana Schutz.

When you make a statement like this you should tell why.
I looked at two of the others you mention...not particularly aroused.
I looked at Schultz. Each piece worked. P Vickers

Lenny said...

Good point... I thought that my earlier response(s) when reviewing DS's work at the Corcoran Biennial sort of established that... I should have linked it to it...